Sunday, February 22, 2009

Binas-oy & Fried Kutob

Is what we had for lunch today and what we'll have for dinner tonight.

Bas-oy or Binas-oyKutob

Binas-oy or Bas-oy is a vegetable soup usually mixed with Malunggay (Horseradish Tree), Alugbati (Malabar Nightshade), Okra, Kalabasa (Squash), Kamote Tops/Leaves, String Beans, Tanglad (Lemon Grass), Kamatis (Tomatoes), and Luy-a (Ginger). Some mix it with more veggies and some with Fried/Grilled Fish but I like it this way and this is our recipe - actually my mom's, but I usually request that no fish be added so it'll only be just veggies. I usually have these cooked when I feel sick and it does work wonders. This is also highly recommended for lactating mothers and sickly children.

Kutob is a common salt water fish that's always readily available in most wet markets here in Cagayan de Oro. Mom says there's no season for availability for this fish. I can't seem to find any picture of live Kutob nor information about it. I also forgot to take a photo before it was fried, i'll do next time.

The vegetable names above have been linked to another site where there is more detailed information for each of the vegetables. Most of these Philippine vegetables are medicinal and in that site are details that some of these plants may cure the ailments.

No comments:

Post a Comment